Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Independence


Each child has their own phase of independence - Lauren now makes her own peanut butter sandwiches, Bowen asserts his independence by answering everything by saying the opposite of what we need to hear. Landon now rides his bike around Canyon without supervision. And...

Carston got a job! He's officially on duty at Wendy's - which by his estimation is better than McDonalds. We warned him not to ask if the customer's wanted their order "supersized"! He's excited to finally have a way to earn a little extra dough and I'm excited to see him find this opportunity all on his own. Woo hoo! One more child on his way to independence!

We're grateful for Dalon's independence in a foreign country. Dalon has been in Tung Chung almost two weeks at this writing. We heard from him last week that some mudslides had blocked roadways on the island and that the missionaries had been called in to help try to move the mud out of the way, bucket by bucket. Apparently it started raining so hard while working that the government pulled every one out of the area for fear of more mud slides, so his service time was cut short. I found the following article on the church website concerning this very event(see link) and lo, and behold Dalon is in one of the pics. It's a very small pic and I've done my best to make Dalon a little more visible.


As we celebrate our country's independence in the next few weeks, I'm just very grateful for the men and women who are serving our country. Some are not much older than my own children and it's a scary prospect to think of them in harm's way, but I admire their efforts, bravery, and dedication to their job at this time.

4 comments:

Debra said...

Wow. That's cool. Someone I know was in the Church News.

Peanut butter sandwiches are the best. I have at least one every day here. It's a good skill to have.

Wendy's is only slightly better than McDonald's I quess, but it's still a job. Yea!

I like Dalon's tie.

: )

Moore Fun Stories said...

I like the new background. Dalon seems to be doing a great job. How cool to find a picture of him in the Church news.

I love your description of independence for each of your children.

Ashley E. said...

That is awesome about what Dalon is doing out there! I had no idea that was even going on.. but i never watch the news.. haha!
PS. I got it at cutestblogontheblock.com :)
LOVE YA!

mistyp said...

I love seeing pictures of Hong Kong! One of my friend's there was telling us about the typhoon. We had to stay in one day while I was serving because there was a #8 warning. We didn't ever get to do service quite like this though. I'm sure that's fun for you to see his pic in the church news!